Monday, May 24, 2010

education



Today I arrived at work and found out that the great state of Maryland does not have any of my certification materials. So that means I will be paying to resubmit forms, pay more money, and waste more time in the land that is educational bureaucracy. All for a piece of paper that says I'm able to teach English (something that I've been doing for the past three years).

Students are ready for the end of the year, which means they are not able to hand things in on time. Usually, I receive pieces of paper that have been lying in car trunks for months. That and a whole lot of excuses from both parents and kids. Do parents actually believe they can make these excuses for kids in college, or in real life? I try to make my work as meaningful as possible because I hate "busy work." But I'm starting to hate excuses more.

My "online" courses actually require me to test in Maryland. I am moving in less than three weeks: first to Massachusetts and then to Pennsylvania. Which means I am dropping these "online" courses and signing up for courses in Massachusetts--three accelerated courses in less than 2 months. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, I suppose.

Moral of the story: It's no wonder so many people have difficulty teaching or pursing formal education.

photo from gallery.ca